Subject: Re: Booting beige G3 w/ OF 2.4
To: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/26/1999 17:35:23
On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Donald Lee wrote:

> Beige G3/266 w/ Open Firmware 2.4:
>
> I can still run this machine with a borrowed "old" ROM, but it
> struck me that I should be ablr to boot from a kernel on the IDE disk!

Kinda. I'm not sure to what extent our kernel wants to be loaded by
ofwboot. I'm sure I'll get told as a result of this posting. ;-)

> I've now tried booting with the kernel on the IDE disk, and I get some
> strange results.
>
> What I get that's closest to working is:
>
> 	boot /pci/mac-io/ide/disk@0:2,\netbsd
>
> This gives me a hang.  Variations on this give me non-bootable partition,
> missing file name, etc.
>
> Should I be able to do this?  The netbsd kernel (called "netbsd" is on the
> root level of the ide disk.)  The partition number does not seem to matter
> as long as the partition number > 1.

Actually no. That kernel is an ELF file, while your OFW will only boot an
XCOFF file.

I'm working on improving our ability to generate XCOFF files, so that we
can generate an ofwboot.xcoff, and you could use that to boot the NetBSD
kernel.

Take care,

Bill