Subject: Re: I.B.iM. part deux: diskless rocks!
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Hans-Christian Becker <hcb@phc.chalmers.se>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/19/1999 15:14:40
On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Todd Whitesel wrote:

> 5. If I hold down the N key on powerup, the first thing I see is the NetBSD
> 	dmesg in "Sun console font"; however when it gets to mounting the
> 	root device, it finds nothing and prompts for a root device BUT the
> 	keyboard is dead so I have to power-cycle it. It looks like we depend
> 	on some console/keyboard initialization that happens when you use the
> 	OpenFirmware command line to boot the kernel.
I have this happening to me as well. It may or may not help to press a
few keys during bootup. I'm not sure whether this actually helps, or
whether I'm making it up.

> 6. If I try 'startx' with slightly modified skel startup scripts, I get:
>
> OsVendorInit
> X: open kbd/mouse: No such file or directory
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
> giving up.
> xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X server
> xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
Try making /dev/wskbd & /dev/wsmouse (or maybe other kbd/mouse
devices???) read/(write?)able by other than root. On my B&W G3, only root
could start X. I'm not  sure what security implications this may have,
so beware.
Good luck,
hcb