Subject: OF settings post-installation?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Geoffrey C Kinnel <Geoffrey.Kinnel@bms.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/18/1999 15:58:00
Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Geoffrey C Kinnel wrote:
>
> > Does netbsd always use
> > the OF screen for interaction? (/chaos/control for this machine,
> > it's darn ugly though).
>

> Once the kernel boots, it takes over the screen & we don't use the OF
> screen anymore. I think we leave it in the resolution last used by OF, but
> that's it.

Sorry to be a gadfly here, but I'm puzzled by this. For
installation, I boot into OF with auto-boot?=false,
input-device=kbd and output-device=/chaos/control. Now, once I
have a bootable kernel, I should be able to reset everything
except boot-device to their defaults, right? Or do I need to keep
input- and output- device as during install?

When I reboot with input and output set to ttya, I see disk
activity, then the screen initializes to a gray screen, but no
text. Am I still thinking to Mac-ishly?

Fortunately I have MacOS and Linuxppc installed on another
volume, so I can play with OF easily.

Baby steps, baby steps...

Thanks,
Geoff