Subject: Re: 7600 hangs on boot - new info
To: Geoffrey C Kinnel <Geoffrey.Kinnel@bms.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/18/1999 11:42:05
On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Geoffrey C Kinnel wrote:

> I sent a message Friday about being unable to boot. I switched to
> the GENERIC_MD version of the kernel and now it boots
> successfully and probes the device tree.
>
> It appears, however, that netbsd-GENERIC_MD is used for a netboot
> or install. It prompts for a terminal type and gives the
> (I)nstall, (S)hell or (H)alt prompt. Is this how NetBSD always
> boots, or is it the generic kernel I have?

The _MD part stands for memory disk. It's an install kernel.

> It doesn't mount my filesystems on my hard disk, but sets up / on
> /dev/md0a.

Right. That's the memory disk mount.

> Any reason that the netbsd kernel of May 10 wouldn't boot a
> 7600/132, but the GENERIC_MD kernel would? Does netbsd always use
> the OF screen for interaction? (/chaos/control for this machine,
> it's darn ugly though).

No known reason why one would work but not the other. :-)

Once the kernel boots, it takes over the screen & we don't use the OF
screen anymore. I think we leave it in the resolution last used by OF, but
that's it.

Take care,

Bill