Subject: Re: 7600 hangs on boot
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/16/1999 22:54:51
Hi,

Geoffrey C Kinnel <Geoffrey.Kinnel@bms.com>wrote:

Geoffrey> My OF boot-device is scsi/sd@4:0 (an external HD
Geoffrey> at ID 4 on the external SCSI interface).

>> boot
>>> NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.1
>>> (tsubai@mint.iri.com.jp, Mon May 10 19:46:09 JST 1999)
>> Booting scsi/sd@4/netbsd
>> 1856444@0x100000+179560@0x2c53bc
>>  start=0x100000

Geoffrey> At this point the machine just sits there--no HD
Geoffrey> activity, nothing. Is this common problem that I
Geoffrey> missed the answer to? I have to hit the power
Geoffrey> switch to recover.

Did you installed boot block on the disk?  If you used
sysinst command to install the sets into the disk, it was
done though...

Geoffrey> One item that may be related: when I did a custom
Geoffrey> disk partition during install (to use the whole
Geoffrey> 519 MB disk) it had root, swap, usr and an
Geoffrey> additional unnamed partition of 519 MB. Is that
Geoffrey> supposed to happen? I just accepted the suggested
Geoffrey> sizes for the partitions (32 /, 96 swap, 391
Geoffrey> /usr).

It looks fine to me.

--
SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
Hack on NetBSD, and your code runs on over 20 architectures!