Subject: 7600 hangs on boot
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Geoffrey C Kinnel <Geoffrey.Kinnel@bms.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/15/1999 16:19:27
Just getting started with NetBSD. Read the FAQ and I've followed
the steps to make the hard disk bootable.

My OF boot-device is scsi/sd@4:0 (an external HD at ID 4 on the
external SCSI interface).

I can boot fine off a floppy into the installer and minimal
shell, and can see the filesystem and files I installed on sd0a.

However, when I boot from OF with the boot-device above, I get
the following:

> boot
>> NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.1
>> (tsubai@mint.iri.com.jp, Mon May 10 19:46:09 JST 1999)
Booting scsi/sd@4/netbsd
1856444@0x100000+179560@0x2c53bc
 start=0x100000

At this point the machine just sits there--no HD activity,
nothing. Is this common problem that I missed the answer to? I
have to hit the power switch to recover.

One item that may be related: when I did a custom disk partition
during install (to use the whole 519 MB disk) it had root, swap,
usr and an additional unnamed partition of 519 MB. Is that
supposed to happen? I just accepted the suggested sizes for the
partitions (32 /, 96 swap, 391 /usr).

Thanks for any pointers.
Geoff