Subject: Mac Partitions, was: Proper booting of iMac's and G3's.
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/14/1999 14:01:10
At 9:54 AM -0700 10/14/99, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>
>> At 5:16 PM -0700 10/13/99, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>> >I did one of the first steps towards this recently. Macppc now understands
>> >MacOS partitions, so it's much easier to set up partitioning which lives
>> >w/ the booter. :-)
>>
>> This deserves an announcement!
>>
>> I presume it's in -current now?  Or does it still need to be committed?
>> How does the level of support compare to port-mac68k, any major
>> shortcomings?
>
>Yes, it's in current.
>
>How does it compare w/ the mac68k partitioning code.... given that I STOLE
>it from mac68k, I think it compares well. :-) The only difference is that
>this code looks for NetBSD disklabels before MacOS partitions (as
>installbout makes a fake MacOS partition table in which it puts the boot
>loader and which we need to ignore), and that it can write NetBSD
>disklabels.

Any how common is the code?  Does it cross-reference the Mac-68k code, or
do they both reference a common base?

Where I'm really going with this is:  anybody thinking about making it
possible for the i386 port to use it so I can transplant disks between
either mac port and the PC port?  Does this even make sense given the
endianness difference?