Subject: NetBSD on Floppyless Power Mac
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Ray Phillips <r.phillips@mailbox.uq.edu.au>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/07/1999 17:48:27
I've probably missed something simple, but I've reached a dead end when
trying to install NetBSD/macppc onto a G4 Macintosh.  Could someone help
please?

So far, at least, the problem isn't incompatible software but a practical
one.  The G4 doesn't have a floppy disk drive so I can't use the floppy
disk I made from the NetBSD distribution's boot.fs image file to boot the
machine.

I have net-booted the G4 from an Alpha which is running NetBSD but I can't
find the sysinst program anywhere and I need it to install NetBSD onto the
G4's internal hard drive.

sysinst must be on the floppy disk I've created from the boot.fs image file
but I can't get to it.  I guess I could get it off the floppy by booting a
suitable Power Mac from it and ftp'ing sysinst to one of the nfs
directories on my Alpha machine, but I don't have such a Power Mac.

I presume it's possible to carry out the internal drive installation
manually after net-booting the G4, but I don't know that much about UNIX.

Ray Phillips