Subject: Re: Fun with a B&W G3
To: None <PORT-MACPPC@netbsd.org>
From: J. David Blackstone <jdavidb@dfw.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/06/1999 21:09:16
Roger Ivie wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I am attempting an install on a Blue&White G3, but am not getting far. I
> have copied netbsd-GENERIC_MD to my MacOS system partition. It gets
> loaded and started when I boot it from Open Firmware. It successfully
> loads, asks the terminal type (well, "successfully" when I have the
> mouse unplugged from the keyboard), and I can tell it to start the install
> process. As soon as it starts looking for a disk, however, I get the
> following repeatedly displayed on the console:
>
> pciide0:0:0: lost interrupt
> type: ata
> c_bcount: 512
> c_skip: 0
>
> The system is a B&W G3 with a 450MHz G4 processor, 256MB RAM, two ATI
> Rage 128s, DVD, Zip, and a 12GB Quantum Fireball. Apple System Profiler
> reports the DVD and Zip on ATA 0 and Quantum Fireball on ATA 1.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Roger Ivie
> ivie@cc.usu.edu

I started getting the same messages when I installed my internal Zip
drive in my Blue and White G3.  I have never gone all the way through
the installation process (since I'm unwilling to overwrite my
harddrive), but I did find in playing around that if you wait, the
system will go through several cycles of printing this message and a
few others and then finally come back to you.  Just give it awhile (on
the order of three minutes).

I have a feeling that if someone would post the output from this
error, it might could be fixed.  I am certain it was the installation
of my Zip drive that caused it, because that is the only change I made
before the errors started occurring.

J. David Blackstone