Subject: Re: supported models
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@mvista.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/06/1999 13:11:04
On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 12:35:19PM -0700, Erik E. Fair wrote:
> > I believe there is a small mistake in the supported models page.
> >
> > 7500/100  - PPC 601 (not supported unless CPU daughter card replaced with 604)
> > 7600/*    - PPC 604 (supported)
> > 7300/*    - PPC 604e (supported)
> >
> > This was the progression of model numbers, chronologically.
>
> I think it makes more sense to associate the 7300 with the 7200, as
> (and correct me if I'm wrong, please) they were based on the same
> motherboard design, just as the 7600 is based on the 7500 motherboard.

The 7300 and 7200 are totally different, even though the 7300 was intended
to replace the 7200.  The 7200 had its processor on the motherboard, and
was thus not upgradable.

The 7600 is a 7500 with the processor card replaced with a 604/120 or 132.
The 7300 is a 7600 with the processor card upgraded to a 604e/180, if
memory serves, and with the AV chips removed (the solder pads are still
there on the board).

I've actually looked at the 7500 and 7300 motherboards side-by-side.  The
only obvious difference is the absence of the AV hardware.  There were
also a few small changes in voltage regulating devices on the board and a
few other discrete components nearby.  Other than those slight changes,
it's the same motherboard.

David