Subject: Re: How to boot on a Mac 6400
To: fission <fission@mb.sympatico.ca>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/03/1999 18:38:44
On Sun, Oct 03, 1999 at 04:57:54PM -0500, fission wrote:
> Okay, thank you.  =)  Must've missed that one, sorry...
>
> I did exactly what it said to make a disk bootable - exact same result as
> before (disk w/question mark).  I tried it with 'boot wd0:0' and 'boot
> wd0' both which do the exact same thing.

OpenFirmware doesn't know about NetBSD's names for things. You need to
give it the OF device alias for the first IDE drive, and I don't know
what that is off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure it's *not*
wd0... (and if it is, it'd be of the form wd@0:0).

The fact that fd:0 correlates with fd0 is pure coincidence of
nomenclature (fd being a logical abbreviation of floppy disk).

> Is there any possibility that I could somehow boot the kernel off of the
> floppy drive and have it use my root partition (/dev/wd0a) like in
> Linux/LILO where you go:
>
> LILO boot: linux root=/dev/hda3 ro

Erm... again, that doesn't make sense in the context of OpenFirmware.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net