Subject: Re(2): G4
To: Dan Winship <danw@MIT.EDU>
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@mipsys.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/29/1999 17:32:04
On Wed, Sep 29, 1999, Dan Winship <danw@MIT.EDU> wrote:

>The new G4s aren't just G3's with faster processors. They have a
>faster bus, which presumably means new support chips. So it probably
>won't work on them without a little work.

There are two kinds of G4 machines. The first G4/400 is basically a B&W
G3 with the CPU replaced (and the ADB port removed). It works as-is with
linux/ppc so I beleive it will also work with BSD. The new ones use a
different chipset, but since no developper have one of those yet (and
Apple didn't release the developper notes yet neither) it's difficult to
tell how long it will take to support them.