Subject: Re: AsanteFast 10/100 cards
To: None <luoqi@chekov.watermarkgroup.com, wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Luoqi Chen <luoqi@chekov.watermarkgroup.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/24/1999 18:11:39
> > We have a couple of retired Power Computing machines, and we would like to
> > use them as network routers. I was able to install netbsd 1.4.1 without
> > much problem, but I am having trouble making the AsanteFast 10/100 PCI
> > card to work. The card is detected as de0 and configured with media type
> > 10BaseT, everything looks great except it couldn't ping or be pinged by
> > other hosts on the same network. I'm pretty sure the card is not defective,
> > it works fine under MacOS, and I have another machine with almost identical
> > setup and the same type of card experiencing the same problem. I wonder
> > if anyone out there has any luck with this card. The machine is a PowerTower
> > 200e. The on-board mc0 interface works flawlessly.
>
> What shows up in dmesg for the card? What's the exact output of ifconfig
> de0? How about ifconfig -m de0?

Here's the de0 related dmesg output:

de0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0
de0: interrupting at irq 23
de0: Asante 21140 [10-100Mb/s] pass 1.2
de0: address 00:00:94:75:4b:20
de0: autosense failed: cable problem?
de0: enabling 10baseT port

The autoselect media type doesn't work, so in /etc/ifconfig.de0 I set the
media type to 10baseT (it's on a 10baseT net).

Here's the ifconfig de0 output:

de0: flags=8c63<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,OACTIVE,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        media: Ethernet 10baseT
	status: active
	inet 159.42.217.168 netmask 0xfffffff0 broadcast 159.42.217.175

the interesting part is the OACTIVE flag, it looks as if it's trying to send
some packets, even though I am not doing anything with it.

Here's the ifconfig -m de0 output:

de0: flags=8c63<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,OACTIVE,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        media: Ethernet 10baseT
        status: active
        supported Ethernet media:
                media autoselect
                media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex
                media 100baseTX
                media 10baseT mediaopt full-duplex
                media 10baseT
        inet 159.42.217.168 netmask 0xfffffff0 broadcast 159.42.217.175

> I have one of these cards which I've used fine under 1.3F (a predecessor
> of 1.4), so I think the card is fine.
>
> What could well be wrong is the media detection. It's on a 10 Mb net, not
> a 100 Mb?

Would it be possible that the driver didn't cleanup correctly after the initial
autosensing failed? Hmm, maybe not. I did an ifconfig de0 down and the OACTIVE
was gone, but after another ifconfig de0 up, the bit was set again, strange.

> Take care,
>
> Bill

Thanks
-lq