Subject: Re: AsanteFast 10/100 cards
To: Luoqi Chen <luoqi@chekov.watermarkgroup.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/23/1999 17:18:55
On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Luoqi Chen wrote:

> We have a couple of retired Power Computing machines, and we would like to
> use them as network routers. I was able to install netbsd 1.4.1 without
> much problem, but I am having trouble making the AsanteFast 10/100 PCI
> card to work. The card is detected as de0 and configured with media type
> 10BaseT, everything looks great except it couldn't ping or be pinged by
> other hosts on the same network. I'm pretty sure the card is not defective,
> it works fine under MacOS, and I have another machine with almost identical
> setup and the same type of card experiencing the same problem. I wonder
> if anyone out there has any luck with this card. The machine is a PowerTower
> 200e. The on-board mc0 interface works flawlessly.

What shows up in dmesg for the card? What's the exact output of ifconfig
de0? How about ifconfig -m de0?

I have one of these cards which I've used fine under 1.3F (a predecessor
of 1.4), so I think the card is fine.

What could well be wrong is the media detection. It's on a 10 Mb net, not
a 100 Mb?

Take care,

Bill