Subject: Re: wscons problems on macppc, was -current on PowerBook G3/400
To: None <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/23/1999 10:16:52
On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Matthias Drochner wrote:

> wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov said:
> > It didn't work (running w/o wscons enabled). With the muxing around, I
> > always get EBUSY from the keyboards (either wskbd or wskbd1, the real
> > kbd).
>
> As I said, these should be unrelated things. The keyboard / mux
> code doesn't know how many screens are allocated - there will
> always be only one logical keyboard instance. (The X server is
> supposed to close() the wskbd if its screen is switched away from.)

I agree that they SHOULD be unrelated things. :-) I just think that right
now they aren't. ;-) To the extent that I suspect the muxing expects that
demultiplexing to different users will happen in the ttyE? code (by
switching to different virtual screens). But in order to get different
screens, you need to be able to allocate screens. :-)

> As I said, I had problems with wsmux too - I always got
> EBUSY when I tried to get screenblank(1) working.
> I'm afraid the reference count logics is broken, but
> at the moment I don't have time to look at it.

Sounds like the same thing. :-)

Take care,

Bill