Subject: Installing on B&W G3 (and other floppyless Macs)
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Robert D. Billings <rbilling@aros.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/20/1999 20:02:36
I don't think that this information is in the FAQ yet, but it should be. If
you have a B&W G3 like I do and don't have it hooked to a network then
you've probably run into the delema of how to install NetBSD. The following
has worked for me, your mileage may vary. (This should work for any Mac
without a floppy and network connection.)

Download the distribution sets to a useful piece of media, I've used a ISO
9660 CDR.

Untar-zip the netbsd-GENERIC_MD.tgz file (make sure to use binary, some
programs I've found assume that if it is tgz it must be ascii. I don't know
why, go figure.)

Put the resulting netbsd-GENERIC_MD file in the root directory of your mac
boot volume. (If it is on the desktop just drop it onto your hard drive
icon.)

Reboot your mac and access Open Firm Ware, using command-option-O-F. Insert
the media with the distribution on it into the computer. At the OF prompt
type in <<boot:hd,5,netbsd-GENERIC_MD>>  (of course the <<and>> are not
typed.) At this point your computer should start to boot into NetBSD. Try
and pay attention to what it maps your drives to. The internal ATA drive
will probably be wd0, wd1 is there if you have a slave. Your CD will
probably map go cd0 and the Zip to sd0, Again your mileage may vary.

Once booted you might want to type a none printing character such as shift
key, this bug has reportedly been fixed in current but the 1.4 and 1.4.1
distribution still has it. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, especially if
this ends up in the FAQ!) You should then be able to follow the simple
instructions on installing the system.

Once the NetBSD has been installed you still have one last thing to do.
Since the latest version of OF won't recognize the bootblock information
that up till now NetBSD has used to make the disk bootable without going
into OF you have work around this. This is done by placing the kernel you
want to boot in the root partition of your Mac HD and boot it like you did
the MD kernel.

There apparently is a way to write "macros" for OF where I suppose you
could write a macro to execute immediately on power up and boot to avoid
interaction with OF. If someone is successful in doing this please post it
for the rest of us to enjoy.

I hope that this has been of some help to someone, and that others may
share the information that they have learned on installing on other systems
not well documented in the FAQ.

By the way, if you have an Adaptec PowerDomain 2930 at this point NetBSD
will not boot. I believe that a fix to this is in the works. Since my wife
uses my Jaz drives I won't be removing mine for now. When the fix is in
I'll use it.

Rob