Subject: Re: floppy support - how soon?
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/17/1999 23:47:24
> Well, I'm willing to. I think. I mean, if it's one of those things
> that's not done because five people tried and developed brain
> hemhorrages, then I'm probably not interested, but if it's just for
> lack of numbers and interest that it hasn't been made to work yet,
> then I'll do it.

Cool... FWIW during my Apple II fossil days I ran across bits and pieces
of info about the IWM and SWIM floppy controllers, so if you get stuck on
obscure bugs send me an email and hopefully I'll be able to dig something
up that will help.

> > (http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html), but it's mostly that
> > NetBSD/macppc requires Open Firmware, and there are no Open Firmware
> > NuBus Macs. Making port-macppc support NuBus would be a lot of work,
> > and some people have expressed interest in seeing it happen, but no
> > one has expressed interest in doing it yet. :)

According to what I've heard it also requires conversion of the mac68k
nubus support to use the new bus space and dma macros. This is probably
not for the faint of heart.

> cable.) Failing that, anybody got a cheap Adaptec card for sale? I'll

The 2902's (AIC-7856, ahc* at pci?) were available last year for $70 or
so in various places.  The card I got had a DB25 on the back, which made
it easy to hook up a CD-R and umax scanner using my Apple/Mac cables
(which is why I bought that card, actually).

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com