Subject: Re: dhclient impossible w/NFS?
To: John Annaker <jdela22@hotmail.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/17/1999 17:53:49
On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, John Annaker wrote:

> I've got one interface, bm0.  I netboot my machine from another NetBSD box,
> which is on my internal network.  When I boot up and try to run dhclient,
> the nfs server totally disconnects, and I have nothing to talk to..

Yep...

> I already tried assigning aliases to bm0, it works fine until the next part
> of the boot process comes...(when dhclient gets  assigned an ip address)
> then everything freezes and the kernel sais "nfs server not responding"
>
> so does ne1 know how to netboot, and at the same time get an IP address from
> a dhcp server?

Yes. You need to get the IP address only once, not twice as you are now.

You need a kernel compiled with the NFS_BOOT_DHCP option. It will make the
netboot code use dhcp.

Given that you're netbooting, what's the problem? You've used bootp to get
an address, isn't it ok? Also, most dhcp servers can act as bootp servers
too, so you probably got your IP address from the same server with bootp
and with dhcp. :-)

Take care,

Bill