Subject: Re: netBSD on Performa 636
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/17/1999 10:04:15
On Fri, Sep 17, 1999 at 04:13:43AM -0500, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> I don't recall *needing* to hack the 1.3.x kernel to do X, but that
> would have been one of the options. With 1.4.1, the color X server off
> of ftp.macbsd.com should work fine on the internal video, within the
> limitations imposed by the amount of video memory available. You are
> limited to 16-bit Direct Color at 640x480, or 8-bit Static Gray (or
> Mono) at 600x800. The EASC sound isn't working yet, either, nor is the
> com slot ethernet, but PDS ethernet is reported to work.

Well, I read some FAQ somewhere that pointed me to downloading a
kernel rebuilt for Quadra video hardware (which the Performa 63x
series sort of has), and that made X work... at 640x480, in 1bit
color. Sounds like the more recent kernels do a better job.

Regarding ether, I never had any problems with a PDS ether card (and
it only set me back about $25). Well, I did have problems - it was
loose in the socket and if bumped would pull out, which tossed some
nice, scary console messages up and (some times) froze the machine
hard, but that's not NetBSD's fault by any means.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net