Subject: Re: floppy support - how soon?
To: Dan Winship <danw@MIT.EDU>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@mvista.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/16/1999 17:31:02
On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Dan Winship wrote:

> > I would love to see that source, if you've got it. I'm (for obvious
> > reasons) not the person to talk to about getting it in the NetBSD
> > tree, but if I can hack my floppy driver into working stably enough
> > for tripwire, I'll be happy.
>
> If you had a working driver, I'm sure someone could deal with getting
> it into the tree (assuming it had a reasonable license). (If you had a
> working driver that conformed to /usr/share/misc/style it would
> probably get in even faster. :-)

I'm not familiar with the /usr/share/misc style, but I assume you're
referring to things like formatting (tab stops, etc).  Let's put it this
way, I _think_ the indent program was set to BSD-style formatting mode
when I ran it on the tree.  It was originally a hodge-podge of about three
or four totally different-looking styles.  Normally, we don't make
formatting changes in our tree after something is in there, but I ripped
out about a fourth of the sources (x86 code from mach that was not used,
etc.) in the same commit, so....  :-)

> > Doesn't port-mac68k have floppy support?
>
> I believe they support one of the two mac68k floppy chips, but I
> forget if it's the old one or the new one. If it's the new one, and if
> the PPCs use the same chip, it would probably be a better starting
> point than the Linux ones. (Check the mail archives, there should be a
> link from http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/)

It's the old one, the IWM.

David