Subject: Re: floppy support - how soon?
To: Dan Winship <danw@MIT.EDU>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/16/1999 20:23:03
On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 07:57:02PM -0400, Dan Winship wrote:
> If you had a working driver, I'm sure someone could deal with getting
> it into the tree (assuming it had a reasonable license). (If you had a
> working driver that conformed to /usr/share/misc/style it would
> probably get in even faster. :-)

Natch.

> I don't think anyone is working on it.

Well, I'm willing to. I think. I mean, if it's one of those things
that's not done because five people tried and developed brain
hemhorrages, then I'm probably not interested, but if it's just for
lack of numbers and interest that it hasn't been made to work yet,
then I'll do it.

(Actually, I'll do it either way... or at least get started. Been ages
since I had a good brain hemhorrage.)

> I believe they support one of the two mac68k floppy chips, but I
> forget if it's the old one or the new one. If it's the new one, and if
> the PPCs use the same chip, it would probably be a better starting
> point than the Linux ones. (Check the mail archives, there should be a
> link from http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/)

I'll check it out.

> This is sort of discussed in the FAQ
> (http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html), but it's mostly that
> NetBSD/macppc requires Open Firmware, and there are no Open Firmware
> NuBus Macs. Making port-macppc support NuBus would be a lot of work,
> and some people have expressed interest in seeing it happen, but no
> one has expressed interest in doing it yet. :)

Okey dokey. (I'm not interested either, don't have any nubus ppcs.)
:^>

> > In the interim, has there been any luck using externel SCSI zip drives?
> That's just MESH. They work fine if you have an Adaptec SCSI card. Or
> you might be able to buy a PCI USB card and use a USB Zip drive if
> you're running -current.

Erg. Only have MESH. What about if I do evil things and wire it into
the internal SCSI chain? (25-pin centronics -> 50 pin internal SCSI
cable.) Failing that, anybody got a cheap Adaptec card for sale? I'll
trade you 64 MBs SGRAM (spread across for DIMMs)... that'll save me
the effort of compiling a kernel to support it. ;^>

Is MESH completely broken, or just with zip drives?

> [I'm not sure how secure the Zip write-protection scheme is though.
> It's all in software... it might be possible to spoof the drive
> somehow.]

Secure? As in, if it's safe to run tripwire on it? I don't care if the
zip write protection is good enough or not... I just want my
statically-linked tripwire binary on an utterly removable disk, so
that it can't be trojaned to cover invasive activities. (I'd create an
/etc/nologin and kick everyone off the system before running tripwire,
for obvious reasons.) Yes, I realize this is extreme paranoia, but it
*is* the recomended way to run tripwire...

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net