Subject: Re: floppy support - how soon?
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@mvista.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/16/1999 16:21:57
On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> ... and is there any way I can help?
>
> I was all set to run tripwire off of a floppy on my system... till I
> realized the floppy drive wasn't actually there in any useful sense.
>
> In the interim, has there been any luck using externel SCSI zip drives?
> (Yes, I know the scariness involving panics on MESH hardware, which I
> *am* using, but I could get lucky.) I'd settle for that, even though
> it's way more space than tripwire needs (hey, I could have a database
> of everything on all my file systems... only but tripwire'd take an
> hour to run).
>
> Failing this, I guess I'll have to do some repartitioning wizardry,
> get a small partition (just a couple of MBs) somewhere that I can
> mount ro most of the time and umount ; mount rw when I want to do
> tripwire. That's really not as good as removeable media for security
> purposes, though. (NFS could also work... but then I'm just putting my
> tw data on another theoretically compromisable system.)
>
> All of this aside, though, what I'd really like is a working floppy
> drive... is anyone working on that? Do they need help? What help?

Want a driver?  I did a lot of pounding to get one that mostly works under
MkLinux, based on some pieces of Mach and pieces of Copland and some
custom code by a couple of people.  It's BSD licensed jointly by Apple
Computer and... MkLinux Developer's Association, if I worded that license
like I think I did).  You're welcome to port it to NetBSD (should be
mostly header munging).

If anyone is interested in porting it, let me know, and I'll be glad to
answer any questions if you run into anything in the driver that doesn't
make sense (I'm painfully familiar with it).  :-)

David