Subject: Network pauses
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: William R. Dickson <wrd@awenet.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/15/1999 20:26:50
Hi all,

My NetBSD box is a Motorola StarMax 5000/250 with a pair of NIC cards in
it, both using the Digital chip. de0 is connected to a DSL bridge. de1 is
connected to a hub, and the system routes for the rest of my network.

Most of the time, it works great.  But if I'm putting a constant load on
the network (not a heavy load, just a constant one), I get periodic
"pauses" -- every 15-60 minutes, I'll suddenly get a 15-30 second period
during which I can't ping the router at my ISP.  Then it returns to normal.
I've tried swapping de0 out for another card, with no effect.  The ISP
can't find any problems, nor can the DSL line provider.  The only clue I
have is this error in my messages log, which appears several times whenever
the pause occurs:

Sep 15 19:42:14 ghek /netbsd: arplookup: unable to enter address for
204.85.32.5 (host is not on local network)

(204.85.32.5 is not a local machine; it's the host I'm communicating with
when I generate the constant traffic.  Okay, I'm playing Warbirds.  I admit
it.  But the problem's definitely not at their end; I can't ping any
addresses at all beyond de0's IP.)

Does this suggest anything to anyone?  Any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks,

-Bill

--
 William R. Dickson -- Consuming the Earth's limited resources since 1968
 wrd@awenet.com   < >   http://www.awenet.com/~wrd/   < >   ICQ: 14117523

   Stan:  Cartman, what the hell are you talking about?
Cartman:  I'm talking about rainbows.  I hate those friggin' things!
   Kyle:  Rainbows are those little arches of color that show up during a
          rainstorm.
Cartman:  Oh, rainBOWS.  Oh yeah, I like those.  Those are cool.

                                             - South Park