Subject: NetBSD on the new PowerBook G3
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Sergio Brandano <sb@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/15/1999 19:40:33
Hi there,

The page http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/index.html
states that Apple PowerBook G3/400 is supported.

Clicking on "NetBSD-1.4/macppc Install Notes" on the same page,
the model does not appear in the list.

So, is the PowerBook G3/400 supported or not?

Also, in the Install Notes page, we read:

> Note Currently NetBSD 1.4 requires a dedicated drive when you install it
> for the first time. In other words, NetBSD 1.4 cannot be installed on the
> hard drive on which MacOS and/or any other oparating systems reside. This
> is because of NetBSD 1.4 currently does not support Apple's Disk Partition
> Map.

This is an interesting issue, as LinuxPPC and DebianPPC have problems in
booting without MacOS, which is exactly the converse situation.
The author of BootX does not support NetBSD, but is there any chance to
install it on a partition and boot from the floppy? I started liking
MacOS and I would not like to lose it.

Other questions are (I never used BSD):
- why is it so ... small?
- does it make any use of the GNU stuff (binutils, gcc etc.) or it has
  his own tools and compilers?
- is there a package maintainer like dselect on Debian Linux?

I am asking this question because I do have that Apple model, I tried
LinuxPPC and I am now stuck with Debian (very nice package maintainer, but the
system is still not working). If I can, I would like to remove it all and
instal BSD.

Thanks for help,
Sergio