Subject: 1.4.1, USB stuff, kernel compiling, X weirdness
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: None <kasow@panix.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/07/1999 17:17:01
Hi folks,

   I've been running netbsd-1.4 and now 1.4.1 on my 400 MHz Blue G3
and have some observations, questions, and pleas for help. :) So, I'll
start from the bottom up:

      Observation:
      USB weirdness: If I boot a kernel normally and get to the login
prompt, I have to hit left shift or I get repeating characters- this
is documented in the FAQ.  If I boot with -a, and the kernel prompts
me for what device to use for root, left shift doesn't work- i don't
see anything. A consistent workaround has been to hold down a key
(i've used n) during the boot sequence- for some reason, then I can
type 'wd0a' in, and I'm fine. When I get to the login prompt, I then
don't have to do the left-shift thing.

      Question:
      Kernel compiling with 1.4.1: I can't seem to compile a
GENERIC kernel that is equivalent to the distributed GENERIC kernel. I
have installed a 1.4.1 system from scratch, downloaded syssrc.tar.gz,
checked the md5 sum, untarred it, did 'cd
/usr/src/sys/arch/macppc/conf; config GENERIC; cd ../compile/GENERIC;
make depend; make' as root and then booted that kernel. It seems to be
fine, except that xosview, which works fine under the 1.4.1GENERIC
kernel that came with the distribution, can't find disk information
with my locally-compiled GENERIC and suggests that I upgrade to a
kernel later than 1.2. Any suggestions? Admittedly, this is a minor
problem, but I don't see why I'm having it at all..

      Observation:
      X seems to still be unstable, even under 1.4.1. gs, some example
code for gtk+-1.2.4, xtraceroute, xdoom, all coredump when I run them-
if I look closely I can see a window appear and vanish again. Xdoom
runs long enough to load the wadfile and then dies. I seem to recall
someone else posting about such things, and being told to upgrade to
-current or 1.4.1 when it came out. I still have these problems under 141,
but I saw that XFree86 3.3.5 is in -current, so I shall try downloading
xsrc.tar.gz from netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files and
see if that helps any.

    thanks,

	    Steven