Subject: Trying to talk to tty01 with cu...
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: William R. Dickson <wrd@awenet.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/31/1999 20:57:00
Hi all,

So, I'm trying to set up dial-in on my system.  Ultimately it'll be a PPP
dial-in, but for now I'd just like to get it to respond with a login
prompt.  But I can't seem to communicate with the modem at all.  I've tried
this:

tty01   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   off secure

and this:

tty01   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on insecure

...plus various speeds.

I've kill -HUP'd init each time I've changed /etc/ttys.  But when I try to
use cu to talk with the modem, I get:

cu: open (/dev/tty01): Permission denied
cu: tty01: Line in use

This happens whether or not a line appears in ps ax indicating that getty
is waiting for a connection on tty01.

If it's relevant, I've got the console on tty00; it works fine.  When I've
got tty01 turned on in /etc/ttys, the following entry appears in the ps ax
list:

29349 ??  S      0:00.03 /usr/libexec/getty std.38400 tty01

Any suggestions?  Am I doomed?  Would it be helpful to install mgetty?

Thanks,

-Bill

--
 William R. Dickson -- Consuming the Earth's limited resources since 1968
 wrd@awenet.com   < >   http://www.awenet.com/~wrd/   < >   ICQ: 14117523

        I passed beside the mission house
        Where that mad old buzzard, the reverend,
        Shrieked and flapped about life after you're dead

                                                  - Nick Cave