Subject: Re: Troubles with a vaguely 7500.
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@granularity.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/26/1999 14:28:41
On Thu, Aug 26, 1999 at 11:38:47AM -0700, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
> I recall problems with more than 128MB RAM, and I think it had something to
> do with OF not configuring it properly.  That was a long time ago, but you
> might try pulling some of the RAM anyway.

::sigh::

Well, in the hope that that fixes my problem, any bids for a 64 MB
DIMM? I think it's 60 or 70 ns...

Is 192 MBs really *that* much RAM? Sheesh, UltraSparcs ship with 128
MBs pretty much standard these days, as do most macs, even...

> Both have AV stuff.  It's on a daughter card though.  The 8500 is older,
> but both have OF 1.0.5.

I know. I have one, and have serviced both. The difference is that the
8500 has an RCA video out port, which the 7500 lacks.

> My best guess is the PCI SCSI card in the 7500 (Adaptec 2940UW).  The
> CD-ROM and the original disk are still on the motherboard internal SCSI
> though.

Yeah, that sounds plausible...

> Without support for MacOS partitions I'm going to wait until the 7500 is
> decomissioned in favor of a G4 to do much NetBSD ppc'ing.

... and that like a good plan.

> Good luck with your system.

Thanks, you too!

       ~ g r @ granularity.net