Subject: Re: Troubles with a vaguely 7500.
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@granularity.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/26/1999 13:24:47
On Thu, Aug 26, 1999 at 10:31:06AM -0700, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
> Just for giggles you could copy the ofwboot.xcoff and netbsd files from the
> boot floppy image onto the CD-ROM you burn and boot directly from it.

Yeah, I could have, but I decided not to complicate things, and I've
got the 1.4.1 packages installed... but now I get a kernel pacnic
allocating VM. (See my more recent post.)

> from memory.  It's a little faster too, but the test CD that I made worked
> on a 8500 at home but not on a 7500 (with 604 upgrade) at work.  Don't know
> what made the difference.

I wouldn't care to speculate. This whole process, and the fact that
what works for most people's ethernet hardware doesn't for mine, has
made me very wary of the idea that what works in one specific
architecture will actually work in even a similar one.

Only minor differences between 8500 and 7500, though... same
motherboard... really 7500 is (almost) an 8500 sitting on its side
minus the video out portion of the AV board... but both came in
several different revisions, so that things like OF versions and such
might have changed between one 7500 and another, not to mention
between a 7500 and an 8500.

       ~ g r @ granularity.net