Subject: Re: NetBsd and iBook
To: Rahim Virani <rvirani@hotmail.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/24/1999 18:43:47
On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Rahim Virani wrote:

> Hello there,
> I was interested in purchasing an ibook and putting netbsd on it.  currently
> I am a FreeBSD user.  I had three questions.  The first is wether or not
> XFree86 w/ KDE would be available with the NetBSD Distro.  Secondly wether

	NetBSD ships with a slightly modified version of XFree. KDE is
	one of the many packages available in the NetBSD pkgsrc
	distribution:
	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/README.html

> or not I would be able to run Corel LINUX on the machine. And thirdly

	If corel produce a powerpc version of linux then it would be
	feasible to run it under emulation. This is done for the i386
	and alpha ports (I have a colleague who runs the linux Netscape
	and ADSM backup clients on his day to day NetBSD box). I don't
	know if all the machinery is in place for the powerpc ports
	yet though.

> weather or not I could run Quake II with NetBSD for ppc.

	Only if it was available as a powerpc binary for NetBSD or
	an emulated OS.

	You could still retain the option of booting the machine under
	MacOS so you can run any MacOS binaries also.

		David/absolute

                  -=-  Trust is a non-renewable resource  -=-