Subject: Re: Matrox
To: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@mvista.com>
From: Dan Foster <dsf@frontiernet.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/15/1999 02:16:08
Hot Diggety! On a bright and sunny day, David A. Gatwood was rumored to have said...
> I note that assuming you treat the bandit as an asic (i.e. child inherits
> parent address + offset), it should work.  You don't need to do anything
> special with pci_bridge, AFAICT.  Also note that it's the fourth address
> entry (i.e. addrs[3]) that's used for the control base.  If there's no MGA
> video driver in NetBSD, feel free to use the MkLinux code.  It might not
> be that bad to port in, especially since it was implemented on top of a
> hacked up version of NetBSD's old console code, I think.  If you'd like me
> to email you the relevant files in their entireity, let me know.

It's been a while since I've looked over the MkLinux license, admittedly,
but I'd be concerned about such direct extraction/porting of the code
because of underlying licensing issues. If done indirectly, such as someone
summarizing how it works, and someone else writing the actual code based
on that, then there'd be no issues to worry about I believe.

-Dan