Subject: Booting kernel on Blue and White G3
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: J. David Blackstone <jdavidb@dfw.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/13/1999 19:35:12
  As I mentioned in a previous message, I successfully booted
netbsd-GENERIC_MD from the 1.4 release on my Blue and White G3 a few
weeks ago.  (The OpenFirmware command, for anyone who missed it and
wants it, is "boot hd:5,netbsd-GENERIC_MD", where netbsd-GENERIC_MD is
located in the root directory of your hard drive.  Of course, YMMV
(your mileage may vary).  As mine does (to be addressed in a minute).

  The kernel, as noted previously on this list, has a bug that causes
the first keypress on a USB keyboard to repeat over and over again,
unless you type a nonprinting key such as shift or control.  You may
not realize this if you experience the problem, however, because you
may just think the kernel is in an infinite loop giving you the
(I)nstall, (S)hell, or (H)alt prompt.  What has actually happened,
though, is that you accepted the default terminal setting of [vt100]
by pressing return, and the return is repeating.  To eliminate this
situation, press shift or control or some other non-printing key at
the first prompt before you press anything else.

  I mentioned previously that it seemed like I had to use the right
shift key, that left didn't work, but I was told this was not true.
When I thought back, I realized that when I had used the left key, I
didn't have the same results as described above.  In fact, nothing had
happened _at all_.  This pointed me toward thinking there was some
other problem.

  When I tried to experiment again, I couldn't get past the terminal
prompt no matter which key I pressed first.  Nothing had any effect.
I thought I had corrupted the kernel file or something.  To summarize
about two weeks of late night twiddling, I determined that the problem
is my Best Data V.90 USB modem.  When I have it plugged in, I can't
input anything (at least, not anymore; I'm convinced it _used_ to
work, but I may have had my modem unplugged that night and forgotten).
 Unplugging the modem and rebooting allows things to work fine.
Booting and then plugging in the modem doesn't work (I think; maybe I
should check again).

  My Best Data modem has been nothing but trouble since I got it.  If
you are considering purchasing one, I recommend you don't.  [End of
off topic gripe about modem company.]  Currently, having a modem
attached under NetBSD is a non-issue for me, since I do not yet have a
hard drive to install on.  However, that will be on my wish list
somewhere down the road.

  To summarize:

     1) You can boot the Blue and White G3's to NetBSD from
OpenFirmware by placing a kernel in the root directory of your hard
drive and typing "boot hd:5,<kernel name>".  You will need a hard
drive to install on, if you want to do that.  (Sorry, can't help you
beyond that point.)

     2) There is a bug if you use a USB keyboard that requires you to
press a non-printing key before you type anything else.  You can press
any non-printing key you want, not just the right shift key, as I
previously erroneously reported.  (My apologies to the FAQ maintainer
for the misinformation.  Blame my modem.)

     3) You can't boot (or at least, I don't know how to do it), with
a Best Data modem plugged into your USB port.

  As an upcoming plan, I intend to try booting the most recent
snapshot again now that I now that my modem was a problem.  It seems
vaguely like the problem I had with it was that it did not accept
input at all.

  Here's hoping the information in this message helps the NetBSD
effort in general and somebody in particular! :)

                       J. David Blackstone

P.S.  It seems from the memory section of my mail order catalogs that
the official name for the Blue and White G3's is "Yosemite."  Can
someone confirm that or correct my misunderstanding?  Calling them
"B&W" confuses me; I always think "black and white." :)