Subject: Re: NetSCAPE ;) Communicator and NetBSD?
To: Dan Winship <danw@MIT.EDU>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/10/1999 09:22:14
On Tue, 10 Aug 1999 11:55:03 -0400
 Dan Winship <danw@MIT.EDU> wrote:

 > Hm... I meant "the ppc requires that you clear the exception or it
 > will keep generating the trap, but fpgetsticky seems to expect it to
 > stick around after handling the exception", but it looks like I wasn't
 > paying attention and actually fpgetsticky only needs to work if the
 > exception was masked (at least that's all that's needed to pass
 > regress/lib/libc/ieeefp/except). So I think my problem is solved...

You might talk to Ross Harvey <ross@netbsd.org>.  The Alpha port uses
a software FP "CSR" (kept in the PCB) which can provide any semantics
software wants, while the kernel handles the semantics that the hardware
wants.  He also uses a sysarch call to set the software FP CSR, i.e.:

	ALPHA_FPGETMASK

	ALPHA_FPSETMASK

	ALPHA_FPSETSTICKY

(Note that not all of this is checked into the NetBSD source tree yet.)