Subject: Getting started on new PB G3 Series
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: William O Ferry <woferry@iname.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/04/1999 09:21:08
Hello,
	I've been working on getting NetBSD up and running on my new "Bronze"
PowerBook G3 Series.  So far I've been able to load a kernel off the HFS
partitions (and still access the internal HD) and boot the system, with
a few exceptions:

(it's running -current grabbed from tar_files on Sunday)

1. USB doesn't seem to work, during boot the machine reports that both
ports failed to power up, they work fine in MacOS.
2. SCSI and the media-bay are not configured (I thought media-bay CD
support was added a few weeks ago?).
3. X will not start, it reports that it cannot find the keyboard/mouse.
4. It panics on boot with my normal memory configuration installed
(total of 320MB).

	The big questions I have right now:

Can NetBSD/macppc support more than 128MB of RAM?  What option(s) would
I have to add to my conf file to support it?

What is necessary to get X working again?  I suspect it broke with the
new wsmux foo, so I added two additional tries in
hw/netbsd/macppc/macppcInit.c to try opening /dev/wsmouse and
/dev/wskbd.  It finds the devices and starts X now, but the keyboard
does not work.  I can move the mouse, but no keys appear on the screen.
At least typing "^C" kills the X session (seems the console is still
listening to the keyboard?)

Once I know what to do to support more memory I'll try adding media-bay
to the conf file and see if that just works.

	Thanks in advance.
							Will Ferry