Subject: Ultra ATA on B&W G3/400?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: None <kasow@panix.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/29/1999 19:10:44
Hi folks,

	I have been netbooting my Blue & White G3 for a couple weeks now,
and recently purchased an IBM ultra ATA disk to install NetBSD on. I didn't
have much luck with installboot (perhaps I was not giving OF the right
commands) but managed to get ofwboot.elf loaded, thanks to something
I spotted in the archive- my ATA disk has an HFS partition as well as
a NetBSD disklabel and partitions, and so I have managed to boot by typing

'boot hd:5,ofwboot.elf hd:6'

where the HFS partition (with ofwboot.elf) is 5th on the disk. The second
'hd:' gets passed to ofwboot.elf, and then it brings up a kernel.
[I formatted the disk with Apple's Drive Setup, told it to give me a
500 MB HFS partition, looked at the partition table, and built a
disklabel with wd0d being the HFS partition, and wd0a and wd0b in the
free space after the HFS partition.]

Anyway, the kernel messages come up, everything looks fine, and then
it prompts me for a root disk. No keystrokes appear immediately (I'm
using the B&W USB keyboard)  but after a while, something resets and
then I can type. So I tell it wd0a and wd0b for swap,
it responds with 'root on wd0a dumps on wd0b', and then

pciide0:0:0: lost interrupt
	type: ATA
	c_bcount: 512
	c_skip: 0

repeats several times, followed by

pciide0:0:0: Bus-Master DMA error: missing interrupt, status=0x20
wd0c: DMA error reading fsbn0(wd0 bn 0; cn 0 tn 0 sn 0), retrying

and I get some more 'lost interrupt' messages before I run out of
patience and reboot.

The odd thing about this is that I mounted the same drive with the
same kernel (netbooted) and didn't have any problems with it. I
untarred binary sets onto it, built devices, compiled some stuff, and
everything seemed fine. I compared the boot messages the kernel gave
out about pciide0 and wd0, and they were the same both when I netbooted
and when I tried booting off the local disk. "wd0(pciide0:0:0): using
PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 (using DMA data transfers)"

Any suggestions?

    thanks,

	Steven