Subject: netbsd/macppc on PB G3 Series?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Lucas Lay <segfault@cs.tu-berlin.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/28/1999 21:55:03
Hi,

I'm a newbie as far as netbsd goes... Tried to boot with the boot
floppy--doesn't seem to work: got

Default Catch!...

error after I typed boot fd:0 in OF. If I just insert the floppy at boot
time, the PB spits it back out, refuse to boot off of it. Any suggestions?
Has anyone even tried to install netbsd on PB G3 Series (Wallstreet II)? A
note, too: After the Default Catch error, the floppy drive spins endlessly
until either shutdown or boot to Mac OS.

Configuration:

PB G3 Series (Wallstreet II)
32MB RAM 2GB HD (1.3MB Mac OS HFS+, 700MB Linux ext2)

I don't have a second hard drive at the moment, so I guess I can't install
netbsd. I'd just like to see whether netbsd works on this machine, and
also maybe to play around with the OS, to see how it differs from
LinuxPPC. Apparantly not it doesn't work... :-(

Would like to help getting it working on this machine, if someone would
give me a hint on how to go about finding out what's wrong, etc. :-)

A comment about the FAQs: is the boot floppy "supposed to" just boot on
supported machines? The installation FAQ only mentioned to make the boot
floppy from the image, then just boot--which isn't clear, whether one
should just insert the floppy at start up and miraculously, it just boots,
or one should get into OF first and type 'boot fd:0' (if it means does the
same thing, I'm not sure). Not at all clear... :-(