Subject: Re: Making bootable disk -- not in FAQ yet
To: Erik Bertelsen <erik@mediator.uni-c.dk>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/27/1999 16:39:19
On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Erik Bertelsen wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 27, 1999 at 11:19:26AM -0700, William R. Dickson wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The FAQ list contains this question, but no answer yet.  Does anybody have
> > any instructions at all they can send me?  I installed NetBSD on my
>
> Something along the line
>
>       cd /usr/mdec -- possibly below the installation mount point, but on disk to become bootable
>       ./installboot -v ofwboot bootxx /dev/rsd0a

Almost. It's "./installboot <path to installboot on root disk> bootxx
<device node for raw partition of root disk>"

i.e. your instructions wouldn't work right for a disk with / and /usr as
seperate fs's.

The installboot program looks up the <path to installboot on root disk>,
and figures out what inode is for that file. Then it looks on <device node
for raw partition of root disk> and grovvels the block numbers off of the
fs.

For my system, it's "installboot /boot bootxx /dev/rsd0a". :-)

Take care,

Bill