Subject: Re: Mac compatibles and NetBSD
To: Kevin Schoedel <schoedel@kw.igs.net>
From: fission <fission@mb.sympatico.ca>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/26/1999 16:31:03
> C600s don't boot well. A couple of years ago I played briefly with
> LinuxPPC, and was *usually*, but not always, able to boot from floppy
> (provided of course that the load-base was moved to avoid the screen),

Does this mean setting input-device/output-device to tty? instead of
kbd/screen?

> but that used a COFF file on an HFS file system ("boot fd:kernel.coff")
> rather than a raw disk ("boot fd:0"). Apparently these machines cannot

Interesting - I've been having problems booting from my 6400 (it boots as
long as its set to ttyb/ttyb but kbd/screen doesn't work).  How do you
make a COFF file and put it on a floppy?  Or even better, what is a COFF
file?

> boot from SCSI disks at all, and cannot boot from IDE if the
> output-device is the screen. I think something like this may be the case
> with booting from fd:0 as well; if I remember correctly, the last time I
> tried, I could load the kernel (sometimes?) with a serial console, but
> not with a screen/keyboard console.

Yeah, me too. :(

So it looks like the 6400s are suffering from the same problems as the
C600s.  Very interesting.  Are there any patches/fixes/workarounds to
these problems that anyone knows of?

TIA,

--fission