Subject: Re: iBook
To: Dan Winship <danw@MIT.EDU>
From: John Franklin <franklin@elfie.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/22/1999 17:44:07
On Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 04:23:28PM -0400, Dan Winship wrote:
> > Is the iBook supported with NetBSD?
>
> Ha! Can you even buy them yet? Weren't they just announced yesterday?

Not yet.  The iBook doesn't have FCC approval yet.  Whey you try to
buy it from the Apple store you get:

<Apple>
Please Read
This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or
sold or leased, until Federal Communications Commission authorization
is obtained.

Your credit card information will be used to create a preferred customer
profile. This is not a commercial transaction and your account will not
be billed. As soon as Apple's new iBook computer is available for sale,
we'll contact you using the telephone number that you have provided so
you can be one of the first to order. You will still have a chance to
change your information.
</Apple>

So, you can sign up to be one of the first to order them, and they'll
call you when they're ready, ask "Do you still want one?  Would you
like fries or an AirPort with that?", and then ship you one.  At least
that's how I read it.

> Based on the iMac -> B&W G3 experience, it will probably _almost_
> work, but need some additional tweaking for whatever new curveballs
> the new chips in it are throwing. (Then again, maybe it will just
> work, since the code is better and more robust now than it was when
> the B&Ws first came out.)

I wonder if anyone at Apple is (lurking) on this list and if they
could try it for giggles one evening and maybe tell us yes or no?

I wonder if anyone at MacWorld has a bootable NetBSD CD that they
could slip in to one at the Apple booth just to see if it'll boot the
kernel?

jf
--
John Franklin