Subject: Re: Install on B&W via Zip?
To: Henrik=?ISO-8859-1?Q?_Otterstr=F8m?= <hot@tsm.dk>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/22/1999 11:51:48
On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Henrik[ISO-8859-1]  Otterstr=F8m wrote:

> Hi there,
>=20
> Still trying to get NetBSD installed on my B&W. No luck yet :-(
>=20
> Well, I just got a internal Zip drive installed and was wondering if this
> could be used to boot/install from? OF should be able to boot direkte fro=
> the Zip-drive, right? And all the basic BSD installationfiles would
> probably fit on a 100Mb Zip disk too, so how about it. Can it be done?=20
>=20
> I would very much like to get started on NetBSD opposed to Linux. I think
> it would better prepare me for when Mac OS X arrives, so any pointers is
> greatly appreciated.

I've been trying to do this, and NOT having any luck.

The problem is that the new firmware DOESN'T like how we have been storing
drivers which we use to boot. I'm not sure what's wrong. I've looked at
the CHRP standard I have, and we should be able to do it. But we're
failing some (undocumented) validity check. :-(

I'm not sure what to try next, other than creating a cd9660 filesystem and
shoving the kernel and ofwboot.elf on there. :-(

Suggestions appreciated.

Take care,

Bill