Subject: Re: B&W install questions- ofdisk, internal modem
To: Steven Kasow <kasow@panix.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/22/1999 11:38:19
On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Steven Kasow wrote:

>    I've netbooted a 400 MHz B&W G3 from a Quadra 650, and am having
> plenty of fun. The only major catch is that the AIC 7890 chip in the
> Adaptec 2940Ultra2 card that came with my system is "not yet
> supported", according to the 'Supported Hardware' page on netbsd.org.
> So I can't install on my external SCSI disk, and am instead running
> diskless at the moment.
>
>    While I was looking around, I stumbled across a mention of
> "OpenFirmware disks (ofdisk)". And since my G3 happily boots
> from the internal SCSI disk, I presume that OF knows how to talk to
> the card. Can I simply tweak the config file for a kernel and
> magically use my drives through OF?

Nope. You could boot a kernel off of it, but that kernel wouldn't know how
to access the drive. We don't use the OF drivers once we've booted. :-(

>    The other question I had was about the internal 56k modem I have
> installed- I didn't see any promising looking things in /dev, and
> trying cu -l /dev/tty00 as root got me nowhere fast. Any suggestions?

Your problem is that cu is, by default, waiting for another modem to
connect before continuing. You need to either set that line to "local" in
/etc/tty and re-run ttyflags, or use the dial out device:

Try "cd /dev; mknod dty00 c 12 524288", then chmod /dev/dty00 to something
you can use/what you want. Then try cu -l /dev/dty00.

The dialout lines, which are a feature of the MI driver we copied in our
md copy of it, don't wait for carrier before connecting. So you can talk
to your modem before someone connects.

Take care,

Bill