Subject: B&W install questions- ofdisk, internal modem
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Steven Kasow <kasow@panix.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/21/1999 00:48:54
Hi folks,

   I've netbooted a 400 MHz B&W G3 from a Quadra 650, and am having
plenty of fun. The only major catch is that the AIC 7890 chip in the
Adaptec 2940Ultra2 card that came with my system is "not yet
supported", according to the 'Supported Hardware' page on netbsd.org.
So I can't install on my external SCSI disk, and am instead running
diskless at the moment.

   While I was looking around, I stumbled across a mention of
"OpenFirmware disks (ofdisk)". And since my G3 happily boots
from the internal SCSI disk, I presume that OF knows how to talk to
the card. Can I simply tweak the config file for a kernel and
magically use my drives through OF?

   The other question I had was about the internal 56k modem I have
installed- I didn't see any promising looking things in /dev, and
trying cu -l /dev/tty00 as root got me nowhere fast. Any suggestions?

       many thanks,

	    Steven Kasow

--
"There are three stages in the killing of an astrophysicist."
	--Misner, C. W., K. S. Thorne, and J. A. Wheeler, 1973,