Subject: Panic during boot after fresh install
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: William Carrel <william.a@carrel.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/19/1999 18:01:54
I'm installing NetBSD 1.4/macppc from a copy burned to CD on July 15th from the
ftp.netbsd.org archives.  I'm getting a kernel panic immediately after trying
to boot the partition I just installed onto.  The listing that follows is the
guts of what happens on every boot off the hard drive.

Have I grabbed the wrong kernel for my machine?  (PM 7500 with a 233MHz 604ev
card, 96 MB RAM, 512k L2cache, booting scsi-int/sd@6:0 (4GB) into ttya/ttya)

Oh someone should make it a bit more clear in the FAQ and install docs that
upgraded 7500's and 8500's that use /chaos/control for video don't usually
initialize the video system correctly for Open Firmware, so you have to do the
install by serial.

Waiting for suggestions and possible FAQ entries,

- William Carrel

>> NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.1
>> (tsubai@mint.iri.co.jp, Mon May 10 19:46:09 JST 1999)
Booting scsi-int/sd@6/netbsd
1856444@0x100000+179560@0x2c53bc
 start=0x100000
Copyright (c) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999
    The NetBSD Foundation, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
    The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

trap type 400 at ff8099b8
Stopped in  at  0x230154:       lwz r0, r1, 0x14,
db> trace
at ?+ffffffff
at ?+ffffffff
at ?+ffffffff