Subject: Re: Spelling Error, was Boot Test Offer
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Dan Winship <danw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/19/1999 19:06:04
> The only thing we could do would be to hack in a probe for mesh before we
> itterate, and then skip mesh if it's been found. But that's kinda gross.

The less gross way to do this is to have the non-MESH scsi controller
("esp" I guess?) call config_defer() to put off its configuration
until after everything else on the obio bus.

But that still doesn't deal with people who have an internal bus and a
PCI SCSI card, or whatever. And this is NetBSD; thou shalt not kludge
around the specific instance to avoid solving the general problem. :-)

[As for solving the general problem, I think it would be nice to have
a configuration file read at kernel start time (like Solaris's
/etc/system) where you could specify things like "make this drive be
sd0 and this drive be sd1 and this drive be sd2" and "enable usb
debugging" and "set pcic_isa_intr_alloc_mask to 0xf0ff" and "don't
probe for a soundblaster card" and stuff.]

-- Dan