Subject: Re: Port to Performa 5200
To: Tricheur <tricheur@mail.dotcom.fr>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@mvista.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/16/1999 15:43:19
On Sat, 17 Jul 1999, Tricheur wrote:

> I wish there was a version of NetBSD for the 5200 models, so I tell you by
> e-mail :-).
>
> In fact, it's a pity that the old 68k Macs and the brand new G3 are
> supported while there is not much for the middle-aged models ; personnaly,
> that would be great if I could give a second breath to my Mac with such a
> Unix -- for Unix programming and networking.
>
> With the hope that I ain't not alone in that will,

You're not.  I just answered a similar question a couple of days ago on
a LinuxPPC list.

MkLinux (linux on OSFMach 3) is working on support for those machines.
There's not a target date for support, though, as I just moved clear
across the country and don't have access to a machine in that class right
now.  Some machines in that line should have about 90% of the support
correct with possibly some details remaining to be fixed.  The others in
that line have an annoying problem getting started booting, which I think
may be an extension conflict with an enabler or something equally silly,
yet hard to track down.  I'll know more when O'm able to sit down in front
of one again.  :-)

If/when we get the machines booting, as always, the source is open for
NetBSD or LinuxPPC or whoever to borrow stuff.

Later,
David