Subject: Re: SCSI address and chipset
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Grant Stockly <gussie@stockly.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/16/1999 12:02:43
>Uhm, why are you asking about the MacToolbox if you're writing a NetBSD
>driver?

I thought BSD used the toolbox to do things like video, so I thought it
might be able to find the scsi controller.

>> Is there a list somewhere that lists all ppc machines, the SCSI controller
>> used, and the base addresses it resides at?
>>
>> I'm building the beginning of a NetBSD driver and have started to collect
>> information about all NetBSD compatible computers that have SCSI ports.
>
>What exactly are you trying to do? A NetBSD driver to do what?

I need to find the base address of the scsi chip so I can send SCSI Target
instructions to it.

>Ahhh. You want to communicate with a serial port controller...

Custom built.  :)

>I missed the first part of your thread (mass mailings get deleted really
>quick).

I just tried to get information on all the computers which I knew had SCSI
ports.

>>From this message, I gather you're writing a driver to talk to a serial
>port device which hooks to a SCSI bus. The rest of this mesage is based on
>that assumption.

Yes.  8 serial ports for now.

>Does this device follow the SCSI standard? i.e. you feed it standard SCSI
>commands to which it replies in a standard way? If yes, life's easy. If
>no, you're SOL.

Its a SCSI device.  I've designed it to use SCSI target commands.

>If it follows the standard, forget about talking to the hardware directly.
>You don't need to. Just make your driver a scsi device driver, and it'll
>be able to feed SCSI commands to the SCSI bus. Then you won't have to
>worry about where this chip is or what kind of chip that machine has -
>it'll just work.

Do you know where I can find information about writing and reading SCSI
commands (specifically Target?)?

>I'd suggest you look at both the se and uk drivers. The se is SCSI
>Ethernet - a prime example of a driver making a scsi device look like
>something other than mass storage (i.e. an ethernet driver).

Ok.  Would the se driver drive the SCSI Ethernet device on any NetBSD
computer capable of doing SCSI?

>Also look at the uk driver. It's the "unknown" driver, for unknown SCSI
>devices. It will let you generate scsi commands from userspace, and it
>should be matching your device now (if it's config'd in your kernel). It
>will let you focus on figuring out how to talk to your device from
>userland. Then once you have things figured out, you can work on making a
>kernel driver. It should save you a lot of time & effort.

Thanks!  I didn't know that!

Grant
48656C6C6F212054656C6C206D6520696620796F7520676F742074686973206D6573736167652EzĪ