Subject: Re: Creating serial console
To: None <UkneeqFNG@aol.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/02/1999 17:48:03
On Fri, 2 Jul 1999 UkneeqFNG@aol.com wrote:

> Hi,
>    It is me again. I am trying to create a serial console to boot of the boot
> floppy. A friend of mine is helping me. He has a PC running FreeBSD. He tried
> last night to get it to talk and this is what he wrote to me:
>
> I'm about to give up for the night, well as for a program called kermit for
> FreeBSD it wasnt in the /stand/sysinstall program.  I also tried using tip
> -38400 console  and FreeBSD responds console is an invalid terminal.  I have
> only gotten it to say connected now but nothing appears on my screen or
> yours.  I've been typing TTYA IO and pressing enter which turns your screen
> off.  I hope I'm doing it right??

Sounds like something is working.

> The serial cable is connected to my printer port because I have the internal
> 56K apple modem. I have tried typing ttyb before we hooked up the serial
> cables and got unknown word error. What are we doing wrong??? Any help is
> appreciated...the faster the better!

As your console's hooked to ttyb, try "TTYB IO" instead (if TTYA IO is
doing something).

Hook up the serial console cable, and boot into OF. I assume you're
getting into OF fine.

Then try

setenv output-device ttyb

and start typing stuff. It should be showing up on the FreeBSD box.

If that works, then try

setenv input-device ttyb

Take care,

Bill