Subject: Re: Re: Troubles installing NetBSD on Beige G3
To: None <UkneeqFNG@aol.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/29/1999 13:09:38
On Tue, 29 Jun 1999 UkneeqFNG@aol.com wrote:

> Hi,
>    Actually we just used ftp to put the files on the hard drive...Is there a
> special way I am suppose to do that. I have all the files in the floppy
> directory of the 1.4 release. I thought I would be able to tell it to boot
> off the ide drive and have it run the install files from there. Is that
> possible? Please help I am getting really frustrated. :o(
> I do thank everybody for the help though!

Oh, that part was fine.

installboot is the program you need to run to actually make the disk
bootable, and is a seperate step. :-)

As you say you're netbooting, I'll assume what will be your root disk (the
on-ide partition) is mounted on /mnt.

What you need to do is cd /usr/mdec

cp ofwboot /mnt/boot

installboot /mnt/boot  bootxx  /dev/rwd1a
             ^^^^^------------------^^^^^  The device is the raw disk
				device for the fs on which /mnt/boot
				lives.

bootxx is a simple booter which knows how to load a series of blocks from
disk using OF. installboot looks for where the /mnt/boot file lives on
disk (accessing the filesystem via /dev/rwd1a above). It then hard codes
bootxx to read those blocks off of the disk.

installboot then fakes up enough of a macos disklabel and makes a "driver"
partition in which it shoves bootxx.

It really doesn't matter where on disk ofwboot gets copied, just /boot is
the tradition. :-)

Take care,

Bill