Subject: Re: Creating a boot floppy for installation.
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Matthew A. Kolb <muk@bender.cl.msu.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/29/1999 07:42:41
On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 04:46:27PM -0700, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> Does that two-stage boot process you described explain why I got two boot
> chimes from my machine before I got a command line prompt?  Or was that
> some kind of failure followed by a retry which worked?  (PowerMac 8500,
> boot floppy image from the last month or two.)

In response to this one, I have had the same trouble with my PowerMac 8600/300. I believe that it boils down to a tired power supply. My machine takes forever to get from the black screen (and chimes) to get to any kind of operating system. Running LinuxPPC, my machine rechimes (is that a word?) 3 times before it starts to boot. If I'm wrong on this please correct me. I'd really like to take care of this problem on my box as well.

./kolb

*** Those who do not understand UN*X are doomed to repeat it...poorly.