Subject: Re: Creating a boot floppy for installation.
To: Robert Leenheer <Keiki_Sunagawa@yokogawa.co.jp, robert@chess.nl>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/28/1999 11:40:44
At 12:12 AM -0700 6/25/99, Keiki_Sunagawa@yokogawa.co.jp wrote:
>99/06/25 15:48:53, robert wrote:
>
>> What is the reason for this. LinuxPPC lets you just copy the file
>> to a HFS floppy, and boot from it. Are there any reasons for doing
>> it this way?
>
>No reason, I believe.  Just NetBSD had been ported to macppc without
>development tools running on MacOS. (even MacOS itself, actually:-)

Actually I think this is a good question.  What format *is* the boot
floppy?  I don't understand how it can be a format that OF understands, but
that MacOS doesn't.  Is there any reason why whatever the boot file is
can't be created under NetBSD and then just binary copied to a normal MacOS
format floppy a la LinuxPPC?  It would make it a lot easier for some people
to get started.

If we need the funny-format floppy then it would be nice if someone would
make DiskCopy images available.  Someone did that for one image a while
ago, but that one doesn't work on my 8500.  (The latest one works fine.)