Subject: Re: trouble booting on beige G3
To: None <UkneeqFNG@aol.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/28/1999 09:50:35
On Sun, 27 Jun 1999 UkneeqFNG@aol.com wrote:

> I used the suntar that was posted on this mailing list and overwrote
> sectors and it put it on the floppy fine. When I go to boot with it I
> get a claim failed message. What does that mean and if I am doing
> something wrong please tell me how to do it correctly.

Try it again. I found that I had to try the boot command twice. The first
one ended with a claim failed message in OF, but the second one worked.

The linux folks have an OF patch somewhere which will fix this problem.
There's a bug in the Beige G3's firmware somewhere in how it opens the
floppy.

> I tried going to the serial console but when I did it made my screen got
> black and it showed it wasn't getting signal. Please help...I am trying to
> get NetBSD on my system soon!!!

Right. That's be cause it was trying to talk to a serial terminal hooked
up to one of the serial ports, not the video.

If you don't have a terminal or another computer you can hook to the
serial port, we'd better see if there's another way to help you.

Try the floppy again, twice, and let us know what happens.

Take care,

Bill